Monday, August 2, 2010

When OK Isn't Enough

James 1:5 ... Part 2

Type in "wisdom" to your Google toolbar, and you'll have 570,100,000 results. Then click on images. You'll get some creepy looking things. Included in all your results is a painting from my home town. Not New Braunfels. No... but from here in Verona. It's the painting by Paolo Veronese called "Wisdom and Strength." In it, Wisdom is a voluptuous woman full of life. She's standing on a globe-type object which represents all that the world has to offer. I'm going to call her Sophia.... well, that is "wisdom" in the Greek.
Though I'm not a feminist-feminist, I am intrigued that throughout Scripture, wisdom is portrayed as a woman. Maybe because women are the givers of life... maybe because our first teachers of wisdom are our mothers... maybe because wisdom teaches us how to live well, just like our grandmothers.
Proverbs 4 says that we should get wisdom.... we shouldn't forsake her and she will protect us. If we love her she will watch over us. She's above all other things. If you get her, your life will be blessed. Really blessed... not just good-good - but really good.
I don't know about you, but I get tired of the "life's ok" way of living. I want to live well. I want to love fully. I want every day to be alive with goodness. That's what wisdom has to offer us. Her ways might not be easy. Her ways won't always be fun... but in her there is life.
How do we get her? James already told us. We ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment