Monday, August 2, 2010

In The Courtroom

James 1:12-14

OK, friends... I know I'm getting carried away with Greek. But this - this is some good stuff.

Look at verse 12. See in the NIV where it says "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial..."? I've always looked at that word as hardships... as in - blessed is the girl who doesn't give up when things are tough. The word does mean that - but it's not complete. The primary meaning means "to give proof". Think about a trial - the kind that has a court and a judge and a jury. That's the context where you'll find the word we read as temptation. It appears four times in verses 13 and 14. It means to prove. This isn't a Innocent-Until-Proven-Guilty trial. It's the opposite. We have to prove ourselves. We have to prove ourselves faithful. In fact, back in verse 12, where the NIV writes "where he has stood the test" and the King James says that "when he is tried", well that word is accepted.

The proof has been accepted.

So, here's the scene. I'm on trial. I have to prove my faithfulness. The Prosecutor? Satan. Scripture is clear that Satan is the one who is testing and trying us... Think of Job. Think of Peter. We see how Satan put Job on trial. Jesus said that Satan asked to sift Simon. But there is a co-counselor. Ummm... that's me, too. James says that it's my own evil desires that have brought me here. Yikes.

But my Defense Attorney? You know the answer. Jesus. Scripture tells us that Jesus is on our side, which is a good thing. I don't have enough faithfulness in me. He has it all, and we get to let it rub off on us. He sympathies with us (Hebrews 5:15). He was tempted... with control, power, food, wealth, ease-of-living. It says that he was tempted "in every way, just as we are." He knows what you're going through. Hebrews 2:18 says that because of these temptations, He can help us. When Peter was about to be sifted as wheat (sounds painful!), Jesus prayed that Peter's faith wouldn't fail (Luke 22:31).

And now... the Judge. He's not a Judge that sits back and just watches the scene. He's pro-active. 1 Corinthians 10:13 says
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.
And when you do? When you crawl out... when you stand up... you don't just get to go free. You get the Crown of Life. In Revelation 2:10 the Church of Smyrna was told
Do not be afraid of what you are about to suffer. I tell you, the devil willput some of you in prison to test you, and you will suffer persecution... Be faithful, even to the point of death, and I will give you the crown of life.

OK. So I'd like to stay in bed a little longer even though it means I will have to skip my prayer time. So I'd like to watch this movie, even though I know romances make me discontent. I really want to go shopping today even though I can't afford anything. I'm going to eat that whole package of Oreos anyway - might as well do it right now. I really, really don't feel like getting into a "discussion", so I'm just going to lie and tell them what they want to hear. I'm too tired to discipline my kids right now.
I walk into these trials worn down, broken, insecure and apathetic. But James here reminds us that I can walk out as royalty.

No comments:

Post a Comment