Thursday, August 5, 2010

Balloons and Rotten Tomatoes

James 1:20

Think of someone blowing up a balloon. Blowing, blowing, blowing. And this person is sick. Really sick - with some deadly disease which is very contagious. And they keep blowing. The balloon is getting bigger and bigger and bigger. And everyone in the room is just standing there watching. Bigger and bigger. Bigger and bigger. And then it pops. And those nasty germs shower through the air - each a little missal of contamination. No good can come out of that.

James says that our anger is like that. The word for "anger" is a garden word... you know when your fruit or veggies just keep growing on the inside until they burst open? Well, that's the idea. Our internal stuff keeps getting bigger and bigger until we burst. No good can come out of that.

So - the question I'm asking myself is what do I do to make that gook grow? The verse before talks about being a listener... and not being too quick to talk or too quick to get anger. So, what happens in those moments between listening and acting... what is my brain processing? Am I nursing my pride or bitterness? If I am, I might as well be blowing up a balloon with that deadly air. No good can come out of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment