Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Everything

James 2:1-11

Is your love language physical-touch?  Is one of your favorite books The Posionwood Bible?  Do you like long drives and listening to Rich Mullins?  Do you like to sit on the floor and chat for hours about what God is teaching you?  Can we give each other make-overs?  Let's spend a couple of hours planning our dream homes.  Do you love peanut M&M's?  Let's trade backs.  You wanna sit around and play DJ for each other?  Do you want to go for a slow walk through the trees?  Let's give each other pedicures.  And let's talk some more about our deep secrets and be really real with each other.  And let's make some dream-lists.  And make yummy coffee drinks.  And eat more chocolate. 

And I will love you.

LOVE YOUR NEIGHBORS IF THEY ARE LIKE YOURSELF.

And I find that I, too am prejudiced.  I show favoritism to those who are in the same financial bracket, the same interest bracket and the same heart bracket.  And I hear the argument of It's Natural... It's Normal.  But I'm not called to a natural love.  I'm called to a holy love.

And in that - I fail.  Which is why I need Grace.  My Christian heritage is not enough.  My resume is not enough.  My quiet time is not enough.  The things I do "for God" are not enough.  My righteousness-compared-to-everyone-else is not enough.  My loving-the-loveable is not enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment