Thursday, November 4, 2010

A Second Look at Wisdom

James 3:14-18
We rely upon the poets, the philosophers, and the playwrights to articulate what most of us can only feel, in joy and sorrow. They illuminate the thoughts for which we only grope; they give us the strength and balm we cannot find in ourselves. Whenever I feel my courage wavering I rush to them. They will give me the wisdom of acceptance, the will and resilience to push on. 
- Helen Hayes
One important key to success is self-confidence. An important key to self-confidence is preparation.
- Arthur Ashe
It's surprising how many persons go through life without ever recognizing that their feelings toward other people are largely determined by their feelings toward themselves, and if you're not comfortable within yourself, you can't be comfortable with others.
- Sydney J. Harris
Each of us literally chooses, by his way of attending to things, what sort of universe he shall appear to himself to inhabit.
- William James
Keep love in your heart. A life without it is like a sunless garden when the flowers are dead. The consciousness of loving and being loved brings a warmth and richness to life that nothing else can bring.
- Oscar Wilde



Hmmm... nice quotes.  Warm.  Fluffy.  They waft in ideas of how we can better our lives and plant gardens of loveliness in others' lives.  Wrong.  And that's the "nice" wisdom.  We're not even talking here about the Top Dog wisdom of power, money and fame.  The wisdom of the world says:
I can find peace by "feeling" good.  I need to feel happy and content.  Being loved on earth is the highest of treasures.  I can control my world.  I need to be believe in myself.
The wisdom of the world says: I am my own god.
And there is no higher Selfish Ambition.

No comments:

Post a Comment